Children’s Special Health Care Services – Delta
Children’s Special Health Care Services – Delta2920 College Ave
Escanaba, Michigan, 49829
1-800-359-3722 or 906-786-4290
Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program within the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. It is for children and some adults with special health care needs and their families.
Assist individuals with special health care needs in accessing the broadest possible range of appropriate medical care, health education and supports.
CSHCS helps persons with chronic health problems by providing:
- Coverage and referral for specialty services based on the person's health problems.
- Family centered services to support you in your role as primary caretaker of your child.
- Community-based services to help you care for your child at home and maintain normal routines.
- Culturally competent services which demonstrate awareness of cultural differences.
- Coordinated services to pull together the services of many different providers who work within different agencies.
Several factors determine if a person is eligible for CSHCS:
Qualifying Medical condition:
CSHCS covers more than 2,700 physical conditions when certain criteria are met. NOTE: CSHCS does not cover developmental, behavioral or intellectual conditions.
Children must be under the age of 21. Persons 21 and older with cystic fibrosis or certain hereditary blood coagulation disorders commonly known as hemophilia may also qualify.
Citizenship: The client, or a parent of the minor client, or court appointed guardian must be one of the following:
A US citizen, or
A documented non-citizen who has been admitted for permanent residence, or
A non-citizen legally admitted migrant farm worker (i.e., seasonal agricultural worker).
Must be a Michigan resident
Is not based on income. Families with any income are eligible as long as the previous criteria are met.
There is a fee to join CSHCS. This fee is waived if the client has Medicaid, MIChild, a court-appointed guardian or lives in a foster home. The fee is determined with a sliding scale based upon family income and family size. Please call the Local County Health Department CSHCS office or the Family Phone line at 1-800-359-3722 if you have specific questions about this fee.